Thursday, 24 May 2012

WRESTLING: Does it happen in Hants?

Like most people with siblings, I am sure that I did my own fair share of wrestling as a child.  In fact, one of my fondest memories is of my ex-soldier and double amputee grandfather, propelling himself from an orange armchair to tackle my three year old brother and tickle-wrestle him into submission.  In fact, when I stop to reflect on my growing up, wrestling was a major part.  My Nana Morton was a big fan.  Fag in one hand, cup of tea in the other, she spent many hours yelling encouragement at Big Daddy (and others) as they regularly appeared on the television in the corner.

So, what I want to ask is - where has wrestling gone?  It's obviously still  happening - it's an Olympic sport for goodness sake - but it no longer seems to play an important role in the national psyche.  Actually, was it ever really a national passion, or was it one enjoyed by the working classes more than any other?  I wonder, did the pleasure in wrestling disappear as we all became more upwardly mobile?

I'm called to ponder these questions because I am having no luck finding a Hampshire wrestler...  There is a club in Slough, and one in Bristol and some in London.  But Hampshire?  And what am I going to do if I can't track one down?  I can't even call in my brother as he lives in Berkshire!

It's obvious from the image of Leon, that wrestling now is for athletes and not just performers...  So, if you are out there, somewhere in the county... Please come forward and let A Sporting Chance help to celebrate your sport.




Image of British Olympic hopeful, Leon Rattigan, taken from http://www.sportspeopleaspeople.com
shot by Sam Bowles and David Middleton

To find out more about GB Wrestling, click here

No comments:

Post a Comment