Yesterday, July 11th, the Olympic torch relay came through Basingstoke. The crowds were 5 deep, the flags were waving and the sun even made an appearance. Amazing. Although I had 'broken through the cordon' to get to a spot in the market square, I couldn't actually see what was happening, Oh to be over 6ft, or own a pair of stilts...
But, my lack of physical stature really didn't matter as I had a Basingstoke golden ticket, an invite to the Mayor's reception at the Willis which meant that after cupcakes and speeches, I got my hands on the real torch. Yes, the real torch. In fact, torches - one from 1948 (which a certain leisure centre manager cruelly described as looking more like a toilet brush and holder) and one from 2012! Thank you, Matthew, fresh from the relay, for letting us all get our sticky fingers on it.
The reason all of these wonders were opened up to me? My exhibition! Awesome.






No comments:
Post a Comment